Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One Hundred and Seventh Entry

While I'm at work I'm posting poems later. And frankly, it's becoming harder to get it together, so let's hope for your sake I don't miss a day.

Also, I'm writing like 19 articles and they're all due this week. Busy.

Today's poem has an Adlai Stevenson reference. See if you can figure out what it is.

Here's my poem:

SHOELACE

Get ready to lick the piss off the chain link;
that’s what the people pay to see, now hurt
horses in your stable and walk around the block.
Your girlfriend is gross, I envy the lunches
the two of you ate with the food looking at you
and then talking to you, don’t wait for the translation,
scan the photos and tell me which one of these men
hit you. I was involved in the construction
of a rotunda, but it ended up not being rotund
enough. I’m breaking a contract that I never
agreed to. So what about your contract, this story’s
about me and who I choose to fuck around with.

I bent the edge of the bed, I’m always
doing that kind of thing, dear diary, Troy
said he’d take me out this weekend, but I
already have a date! What should I do?
Throw your dress in the stream and then
jump in after, some mockery of a fable,
ghost story turned boring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude -- why are you talking shit about Adlai Stevenson's girlfriend? She might be gross, but she's a really sweet person!

steve roberts said...

Dude, Adlai didn't even have to look for it: women came to him. The man was a pimp.