Thursday, April 12, 2007

One Hundred and Eighth Entry

Today was the first day that I almost forgot about writing a poem. Oobs.

The Gehry documentary was playing while I wrote this one. I used to talk some shit about this guy, and watching Sydney Pollack's movie about him makes me like Gehry the man less, but like his architecture a bit more. I like modern sculpture but I think his work is a little decadent (which is odd because he believes himself to be "non-decorative") and, like Gaudi, who I despise, I think his work won't age well. But I can't deny that a lot of his work is beautiful and awe-inspiring. Just not all of it.

Here's my poem:

LEAF

Buttons at the tips of batons,
all my patrons enjoy my marches,
I skate back up the ice in order
to encounter you, I sleep covered
in prints representing those favorite
Disney characters, those children's
rodents, disconnected from its
socket, dropped to the floor, legs
cut off and left sterile, lamp no more:
what is it now? Twelve stories
held open with brawling windows
all sorts of newspaper and shit flying
like a white, open summer shirt,
like a vegetable simmering on the skillet.

2 comments:

gabriella said...

you despise gaudi? are you determined that our world be a series of depressing grey blocks and concrete buildings? gaudi brings me hope (an emotional word that i'm actually uncomfortable using) that we humans can actually builld and live among creativity. Gehry too.
I'm also a fan of "open summer shirts." the phrase, that is.

steve roberts said...

Is there any truth to the rumor that Gaudi is the reason we have the word "gawdy," today? Absolutely not, but there should be. I think of Gaudi as a more talented sculptor than architect. To me, his work has aged badly. His lines don't look modern, but they don't look classic either. His buildings don't look old, they just look outdated, like public schools that haven't been renovated since the seventies.