Saturday, May 14, 2005

Second Entry

This is the beginning of my concerted effort to be more semi-proffesional as a poet. Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with Anne Tardos regarding an internship putting together her late husband Jackson Mac Low's papers together. This is a very exciting prospect. Also, according to Joshua Beckman I will be working on a second internship for an offshoot verse press thingy. There's name-dropping for you. Hopefully I will be doing a reading soon. I was asked to do one after I read at Frequency but I have recieved little information since then. I have read at literally every reading series that I know about so I'm running out of options. Help! Packing up preparing to move to Bed-Stuy for the summer has made me very antsy about the many books I own that I haven't read. Like Kafka's The Trial. But I probably never will read that. Let's not kid ourselves.

Here's my poem:


YOU CAN’T SPELL EXOSKELETON WITHOUT ‘XOSKEL’

So much of new york is about pretending you’re not morbidly bored and boring.
Much can be found in my fingernails when I return to the city from Oklahoma.
Can I hate being crammed warmly in the airplane again any more? Sure.
I talk about armadillos because armadillos talk about me, although impolitely.
Talk Talk was a band but also a song by the New Music Machine from California.
Talk can be heard in the stairway when I wake up early and get scared.
Can the New Music Machine be regarded as great although few people know them? Sure.
The air in Oklahoma makes you feel flat on an empty pasture or two-lane highway.
Air is a band from France and something hot that smells when you’re in NYC.
Is pink in the skin a sign of health or of malaria? Sure.
Pink octopus is your octopus, so you know, while my octopus is pink.
Octopus refers to the Beatles plus the Who, Unit 4+2-2.
Refers to bands from England who are long gone, transitory and who cares.
To you I leave the bracelets from my eight arms, Enid, Oklahoma.
You talk and you talk on the phone then you stop and look down the empty road.
Talk can be heard on your celphone. Wow is that highway long and quiet.
Can is a band from Sweden that Scott and Jon like and I don’t and you might.
Is a band from NYC important to Sweden or pink octopi? Sure.
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ is the English language alphabet.
B begins ‘be’ as in ‘Beatles’ or “be careful, there’s an octopus.’

No comments: