Monday, May 30, 2005

eleventh entry

SO, I'm doing a reading on the 5th, if you want any info about it just ask me.
my poem today is dedicated to somebody who probably won't read this.

Here's my poem:


WITH YOU

With you I sailed towards the North Pole with too many wool coats
and only one shoddy compass.

I killed an elephant and thought it’d be funny to wear its head but
you didn’t like it and it was much too heavy.

We found a planet in our telescope and decades later flew into space
to find it but it wasn’t there but we had a good time.

We sewed the sails ourselves because we had the time, wanted to do it
right and wanted to be with each other.

We scaled down the canyon and decided we didn’t want to go back up
and were surprised by how many people came to us.

Because you didn’t like the elephant’s head I put it in the cellar
thereby ruining it and in retrospect I wish I hadn’t.

With you I climbed trees in the Amazon and we couldn’t see three feet
ahead so we gaily threw our binoculars to the ground.

We named our new planet Hera and it physically existed inside our telescope
and you wanted to keep it when I wanted to keep you.

At the North Pole I looked around and was anxious when I didn’t see you
because the places you could have gone were infinite.

I can’t remember where it was I killed that elephant but I did it
to impress you and you were around everywhere that I remember.

I looked all over the universe with you, although lying on the ground
next to the telescope was the best and I can’t find that anymore.

No comments: