Friday, October 14, 2005

Thirty-First Entry

REMINDER: I'm reading at the Ear Inn on Saturday Oct. 15th. (TOMORROW!)
read about it here: http://www.mbroder.com/ear_inn/index.html

A hearty hello to you and yours.
I'm reading tomorrow, I sure hope those of you who can will come out, but I wouldn't blame you for not coming if the rain continues. Why is this the most miserable stormy week I can remember?

I saw the new movie Primer last night with Scott. It was as confusing as it was wonderful. I recommend it. Especially since, much to my surprise, it was filmed in my hometown of Dallas and has a girl I had a crush on in high school as one of the lead actresses. Freaky.

Here's my poem:

GOD SENDS MEAT, THE DEVIL SENDS COOKS

I’m not sure how I enter into the smorgasbord.
In the lobby, my shirt matches the waiter’s coats
and the stripes in the wallpaper, and I lean
against the door with my ear,

the reverberations of deviled hams devoured,
the images in my mind of angelic lips dripping
the barbecue spit spinning to create a figure eight
in the air which I translate into a symbol of infinity

like those mirrors I saw in the museum;
they go on forever, making me mention to Andrew
Picasso’s “the Mirror,”
how there is the real woman and the ‘real’ woman,
but neither of them is the real woman
and we went out for burgers

and the hunger in my heart for any meaning
makes me heavy, and I lean on the door and I fall through.
The cacophony of plates being scraped with forks
and words sneaking past food in many mouths
all ends as my skin presses against
the lavish carpet the color of my face.

4 comments:

Anonymous Poet said...

Surreal. You are the Salvador Dali of poetry.

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought for you my son.

A hermit asked himself,
Do you believe in true love?
He answered,
Yes I do, I truly love my solitude.

Your Dad.

Anonymous said...

At least you're a good poet.

Anonymous said...

On Friday, October 28th Desertman asks "Has the Muse forsaken this word craftsman that he cannot weave his fabric of words into a magic carpet that taketh us away to the quiet silken folds of our minds"?