Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Thirty-Second Entry

So much has happened and I haven't had a new poem in such a long time! Sorry!

My reading at the Ear Inn went very well, and I then had a reading at Emily Gordon's FEAST series, a great series. I was very impressed with all the readers and had a jolly good time. Thanks to those of you who came out.

Anyways, as always, I can't remember what else I was going to say.

Here's my poem:

MY ENGLISH IS NOT VERY PRETTY

When I wear my tourist costume (bright slacks,
ignorant grin) the street seems such
a better place to be. Your skin shines
like an insect’s would, and everywhere
we eat is exotic and I think of you
even when it’s rainy and I’m leaning
on a wet shrub, shaking wetness off
and sneaking inside the abandoned bakery.
In my memory of you, I remember you.
You laugh like whatever I said to you
Was for the first time, but now
it is the second time. Such is the problem
with bargain-hunting time-traveling.

I grab my mouth and prevent the words
from escaping and you don’t laugh,
and I don’t remember and I stumble
against the branch, spilling wet sod
on my Hawaiian shirt and my cover
is blown. They know I am from here.
They know I am from now.
I steal some bread and dash away
with my hands in front of my legitimate real face.

1 comment:

Dee said...

glad you're back. Found you through poets.org somehow. Will keep checking in.

Like this last poem--original without strain.