Thursday, January 26, 2006

Forty-Fifth Entry

Oh dear, I am so zonked out that I have no intention of pretending like I have witty chit-chat. I'm goin straight to the poem.

Here's my poem:

I FOUND A WATCH!

I found it on my left wrist this morning
after jamming open your window and slipping out
this morning, I found new scars on my knuckles
and a band-aid on my arm, the watch had no arms
and yesterday neither did I, they both fell off
in bed with you, they fell asleep and so did I
and now, here, in Brooklyn, on the street-corner, me,
I feel like Columbus stepping onto whatever island
it was he stepped on, or rather the guy on his ship
who stepped on it first. No, wait, like the island
native who was the first among the troglodytes
to become self-aware, the first point of recognition,
that's how I feel,
like when you realize your phone is ringing
and you walk down the street fumbling
to get your phone out of your pocket while
I walk by tapping my new watch and you
are imagining who's calling you and
the conversation you will have when you then
see me and poke me harshly with a needly finger
asking me why I left and I don't know what
to say and neither do you so we turn around
and walk back to our points of origin, back
into the hospital wards of our birth, it takes
awhile, I check my watch with my new arms,
I call you, and we decide it's time to break up.

1 comment:

gina said...

Thursday night is karaoke night at the Alligator. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond--