Saturday, July 16, 2005

Seventeenth Entry

Given the lackadaisical nature of this blog, the lazy updating, the boring personal updates, how all the titles are just the 'blank entry' and so on, one might get the idea that I was writing this more for myself than for any online fans. Right on the money. Not that I am not happy whenever someone views my page, but just keep it in mind and try not to think that I am trying to saidstically torture my audience, okay? Okay.

I'm in Dallas, my hometown. Something about this place just makes me never want to write a poem again, which is probably why I left. Even though, to be honest, I miss it terribly and want very much to live here again.

Also, I'm working back at my old record store while I'm here, which makes me happy to no end. And I wrote a record store geek quiz today because I was bored.

Take It!

http://www01.quizyourfriends.com/yourquiz.php?quizname=050716125054-418302

Anyway, this is a twenty I wrote right before leaving Philadelphia. The title is based on an old advertising mural on a building in NYC.


Here's my poem:

LOOK FOR THE CLOTHESPIN TAG!

To look at me, you would never know that I've invented.
Look at the 248 products I've made for use in your home.
At the inventor's junket last fall Ron Popeil gave me the silver cross.
The sky was advertising jingle blue and I switched my radio on.
Sky from Guys and Dolls was asking something specific of Lady Luck.
From that I invented the showtune simulator and retired early on the profits.
That invention earned me a reputation as an intellectual troublemaker.
Invention is the mother-in-law of intuition, but we're not related.
Is this too unclear for you? Let me paint you a picture.
This is my other hobby, painting, although I'm no Rembrandt.
Is this painting your cup of tea? I was attempting a still life of it.
This doesn't look anything like your cup of tea, cest la vie, right?
Doensn't the frame look nice though? I invented the picture frame.
The sides are made of weapons grade plutonium making this invention 250!
Sides of the record of Guys and Dolls contain both the first and second acts.
Of Marlon Brando: he has never enjoyed my inventions or still life experiments.
Marlon, why won't you return my politely phrased phonecalls?
Why I may just invent a disparaging still life of you, sir!
I also invented a new way of spelling disparaging, it's spelled DIs(PARE)a[JING}.
Also, I invented a Marlon Brando simulator who makes still lifes of teacups.

4 comments:

A. Grayson said...

I like this one. I think the twenties work best when the repetition riffs on the use of the repeated word, rather than replicating a whole lot of the previous line. In other words, I like it best when the new line really is a grammatically and syntactically new thing, not a replication of the previous line (minus the first word.) This poem's rockin' and clockin' holmes.

Anonymous said...

with no damage to your business’ budget whatsoever.

zipco said...

hey I never mentioned this.

i have one of these fucking things too.

chachacheckit out.

zipco said...

its Ed